As consumers, we all have different tastes that influence our decision to buy a particular fabric type. But most of the time, consumers are usually split between going for luxurious or cheap fabrics. If you have a particular taste for luxurious fabrics, then you should have heard of Charmeuse fabric.
Charmeuse fabric is one of the most luxurious fabrics out there today. It is quite famous for its silky touch, which makes it the ideal fabric for special occasions as well as for interior decorations. This fabric is made from 100% silk, but nowadays, you can get the cheaper version of the fabric that is made with polyester material.
Most of the time, people ask, Can I wash Charmeuse? This is one of the several questions about Charmeuse treated in this article.
What are Charmeuse fabrics?
Charmeuse is a luxurious natural fabric made from silk, and its dull back and shiny front readily distinguish it.
The name of this fabric, Charmeuse, is a French word for a female charmer, and because of the elegance of this fabric, they are commonly used in making evening wear and women’s dresses. But nowadays, you will find this fabric primarily used for making bedding.
Can I wash Charmeuse fabric?
Yes, you can wash Charmeuse. Charmeuse is one fabric type that is very easy to care for. What even makes the whole thing better is the fact that the fabric can be either machine-washed or washed by hand. However, the ideal method is washing the fabric by hand. You will find details on how you can wash your fabric below.
What is Charmeuse fabric made from?
Charmeuse fabric is originally made from 100% silk, but in recent times, its production has been extended to using polyester or rayon.
What are Charmeuse fabrics used for?
Charmeuse is commonly used in making all sorts of clothing articles ranging from lingerie to linings, evening dresses, costumes, elegant wraps, dressy shirts, event decors, handkerchiefs, ties, blouses, and many more.
Charmeuse fabric characteristics
- Charmeuse has both satin and a matte side. The former is responsible for the shiny part of the fabric, while the latter is the reason for the dull part of the fabric.
- Charmeuse fabric can either be made from silk, a natural fiber, or polyester, a synthetic fiber.
- Charmeuse is soft and lightweight and drapes easily.
- Charmeuse has a lustrous sheen.
- A typical Charmeuse will appear expensive and feel luxurious to the touch.
What are the various types of Charmeuse fabrics?
As a general rule, any satin silk fabric that has a momme weight that falls between 12 to 30 and also has dull and shiny sides are fit to be a Charmeuse fabric.
These are Charmeuse fabrics made from synthetic materials like polyester and rayon. This fabric is designed to mimic the satin pattern of a genuine Charmeuse fabric.
However, in most cases, Charmeuse fabrics made from synthetic materials are usually not as soft as the original Charmeuse and also lack the luster of Charmeuse made from silk.
This form of Charmeuse is subjected to a post-production process that wears the shiny side of the fabric to reduce its sheen slightly. This process makes the fabric softer than the regular Charmeuse fabric and also with a slight touch of shininess.
This Charmeuse type is very similar to the standard Charmeuse in virtually every way. But unlike the standard type, this fabric contains 5% Elastane which is why it is stretchier and more comfortable.
How to wash Charmeuse fabrics
Washing with hand
- In a washbasin or sink, pour enough cold water and 2 capfuls of any mild detergent of your choice.
- Soak your Charmeuse fabric in this solution and agitate the water with your hand to evenly distribute the soap and leave your clothing item soaked for about 30 minutes.
- Place the item under running water to rinse the cleaning solution.
- Note: do not wring the Charmeuse fabric, instead, press the water out.
Washing with the machine
- Turn the Charmeuse fabric inside out and place it inside a mesh washing bag.
- Put the washing machine in a delicate wash cycle and ensure that the water temperature is cold. Also, ensure that the spin is on low.
- Pour a moderate amount of mild detergent in line with the machine requirement and the load size.
Drying and finishing Charmeuse fabric
To dry the Charmeuse fabric, you can either hang them or place them flat on a drying rack. However, do not attempt to dry the Charmeuse item in the dryer.
The Charmeuse fabric is likely to wrinkle after wash. Steam the fabric is an excellent way to get rid of these wrinkles.
You can also iron out the wrinkles; just make sure to use the lowest temperature to iron the fabric from the wrong side. To reduce the risk that may result from ironing this type of fabric, place a pressing clothes between the iron and the fabric.
Is Charmeuse fabric stretchy?
Yes, Charmeuse fabric is stretchy. Although Charmeuse fabric is not a type of fabric that can be termed a stretchy fabric, this fabric type has 10% stretch across its grain, giving them extra comfort and ease.
Does Charmeuse fabric shrink?
Yes, Charmeuse fabric shrinks.
Typically, silk fabric shrinks, but unlike cotton fabrics, it is the weave, not the fiber, that shrinks. The case of Charmeuse is not entirely different from this as they also tend to shrink whenever they are exposed to extreme temperatures: too cold or hot water.
Is Charmeuse real silk?
Yes, Charmeuse is real silk. But recently, it is very common to see Charmeuse fabric made with synthetic fabrics like polyester or rayon. However, you should know that from the beginning, this fabric is made 100% from silk, making them silk fabric.
What kind of fabric is Charmeuse fabric?
Charmeuse fabric is a lightweight satin weave fabric.